Ajax (Tooele) was in the heart of Rush Valley on U-36, midway between St. John Station and Vernon. The site was originally settled in 1863 by Welsh farmers as a hay and livestock area. At this time it was known as Center for its location in the center of the valley between Stockton and Vernon. In 1869 William Ajax tranferred his store operation from Salt Lake City to the area and began selling supplies to local miners and ranchers. He excavated an underground business area where the extreme winter and summer temperatures were greatly subdued. He developed a complete underground department store, cafe, and hotel. When the railroad came through, travel to and from more distant destinations became easier, mines declined, families moved out, and business diminished. William Ajax died in 1899. By 1914 the site was abandoned and became a ghost town.
John W. Van Cott