is a city of well-kept private homes, condominiums, and apartments.
There is a high percentage of home ownership, and well-maintained public
parks are found in every area of the rapidly growing community of 18,000
(in 1993), up from the 1990 census figures of 15,696 people. An innovative,
full-service public library serves the community and was built in 1968
without a bond issue. It has been continuously upgraded, with plans
for further expansion underway.
The LDS American
Fork Ward was organized on 25 May 1851 with Leonard E. Harrington as
bishop. In 1901 four wards were divided from it, and Alpine Stake, with
Stephen L. Chipman as president, was organized. The Community Presbyterian
Church was organized in 1877 and celebrated its centennial with a restoration
of the original building. There are currently four LDS stakes and forty
wards in American Fork, along with the Community Presbyterian Church,
St. Peter's Parish Catholic Church (organized in 1973), Calvary Chapel,
and a Jehovah's Witness congregation. Members of other religious denominations
also live in the city.
See: George F.
Shelley, Early History of American Fork, With Some History of a Later
Day (1993); Betty G. Spencer, American Fork, a Great Place to Grow (1988).
Betty G. Spencer