is a small community on a point North of the junction of McElmo Creek
and the San Juan River. It was the site of a Navajo trading post during the early 1880s. In 1886 it was named Holyoak after
an early settler. In the 1900s the name was changed to Anseth, then Aneth
for an operator of the local trading post. The discovery of oil and
gas in the area accelerated settlement and population growth.
W. Van Cott