History of Atkinson, Utah
-

Atkinson (Summit) is located ca. 1.5 miles (2.41 km) east of Silver Creek Junction on the south side frontage road of I-80.

The town was named for William Atkinson, one of the original settlers in the area. Others of note who settled there were, Orrin Hatch and John Moss. George Pace moved from Bountiful to the Atkinson area to provide more space for his family and a sizable herd of beef cattle and sheep.

With the arrival of the Union Pacific Echo to Park City line in 1880, a freight station and 26 pen stockyards were built and it soon became a major livestock loading station. Herds were driven there from nearby Snyderville and even as far away as Heber City.

Mining activity in the mountains of Park City caused mine tailings to wash down Silver Creek. Several entrepreneurs built a mill which they called the "Big Four", to recover the valuable tailings. With the arrival of the mill, people were hired and soon a big boarding house and a one-room school, completed in 1915, were built to accommodate the rapid growth.

The railroad tracks have since been removed. With the railbed left behind, and Silver Creek following basically the same path, bicycle enthusiasts can now ride this pleasant path from Park City to Echo.

The one-room school house still stands and cattle can be seen grazing in the surrounding fields, but the town has all but vanished.

G.William Wiersdorf

See: Summit County Historical Society

See some Pictures!
Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers