OnlineUtah.com Logo
History of Beaver, Utah
Taken from the Utah History Encyclopedia (Links Added)
-2-

That same year, the first Beaver County court was held in Beaver. In 1858 Beaver's population received a boost from Mormons leaving San Bernardino, California, at the onset of the Utah War. In 1886 the inhabitants of Circleville abandoned their community because of the Black Hawk War and made their homes in Beaver.

In September 1873 the United States Army built a military barracks - Fort Cameron - at Beaver. It was located on the north side of the Beaver River about one mile from the mouth of the canyon. The post included four company barracks, a guard house, commissary, hospital, and officers' quarters, many of which were constructed with the distinctive black rock taken from the nearby mountains.

Beaver is known for its stone houses and public buildings. The Beaver Co-op was the largest Utah mercantile establishment south of Salt Lake City for a number of years. Constructed with black igneous rock quarried in the mountains east of Beaver in 1872, this two-story store was a branch of the LDS Church's ZCMI. The foundation of the Beaver County Courthouse, built in 1882, is also black rock, but the upper stories are constructed of a beautiful red brick. The building's clock tower and simple classical detail make it a prominent landmark in Beaver County.

Page 2
Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers