played a prominent role in education in the county. Besides local public
schools, a number of private institutions were built here. In 1898 the
LDS Church established the Murdock Academy in the old Fort Cameron structures.
This church school was a branch of the Brigham Young Academy at Provo.
The Beaver LDS Stake was given the responsibility for the renovation
of the properties, and a principal, E.D. Partridge, was sent to Beaver
from Provo to lead the school. By the beginning of its second week,
one hundred students had enrolled for the two-year high school course.
The school functioned until May 1922.
stock raising were the two principal industries during the nineteenth
century in Beaver. Nevertheless, in this most significant town south
of Provo, Beaver's retail businesses also played a prominent role in
the economic life of the region. Beaver functioned as a supply station
for prospectors who were scouring the nearby mountains for ore. A number
of woolen mills, tanneries, harness shops, shoe shops, flour mills,
photographic galleries, lumber mills, tailors, carding shops, and a
variety of other types of local businesses helped Beaver to maintain
a thriving local economy.