OnlineUtah.com
History of Bicknell, Utah
Taken from the Utah History Encyclopedia (Links Added)
-2-

Residents had to build houses on the new site and did not begin moving in until about 1897. Once established, the citizens were faced with the immediate problem of obtaining culinary water. Pipe was purchased and a new water line constructed from Cotton Wood Springs to the townsite. The pipeline was completed in 1899 with additional water augmenting the system from Durfey Spring. In 1909 a waterworks corporation, the first in Wayne County, was created to maintain the water system. As the population of the town increased, an entirely new line was constructed, bringing water from Jackson Spring.

The school system had an early beginning in Bicknell. The first school opened in 1880 and was taught in the "Herd House" by Hiley Burgess. During the year 1881-82 a combination schoolhouse-dance hall was constructed. In 1890 a frame schoolhouse was constructed, and a rock schoolhouse was finished in 1909. Today the high school for Wayne County is located in Bicknell with students bused to school from the outlying communities in the county.

Bicknell recently has worked at an extensive beautification project. The city has added curb and gutter and sidewalks, and created three mini-parks. The city has received recognition for its efforts by being named "Tidy Town of Utah" in 1984, "Tree City USA," and "Most Beautiful Town" in Wayne County.

Kenneth R. Williams


Page 2
Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers