Bingham Canyon continued to be used as an abundant source of timber.
Mormon leaders recognized this economically valuable resource when,
in 1850, they granted permission for a sawmill to be erected in West
Jordan by Archibald and Robert Gardner. A mill was constructed in the
canyon itself in 1864 when Brigham Young persuaded a group of pioneers
headed for Idaho with a sawmill from the East to build it by Carr Fork.
During this time, many wagonloads of timber were taken from the canyon's
hillsides, including most of the timber used to construct the roof of
1863, as logging operations continued, valuable ores were again discovered
in the canyon by George B. Ogilvie, Archibald Gardner, and some soldiers
from Fort Douglas. The ore finds
were sent to General Patrick Connor,
who was the commander of the Third California Infantry, stationed during
the Civil War at Salt Lake City's Fort Douglas. He assayed the ore and
found it to contain rich quantities of both gold and silver. General
Connor then supervised the organization of the West Mountain Mining
District, which included Bingham Canyon and most of the Oquirrh Mountains.