History of Bingham Canyon, Utah
Taken from the Utah History Encyclopedia (Links Added)

Each ethnic group settled in a different area of the canyon, elevating the population to more than 15,000 by the 1920s. In the process, these groups created distinct communities. Finns, Swedes, and Norwegians came to Carr Fork; Eastern and Southern European Slavs and Italians to Highland Boy; Greeks, Japanese, British, and Scandinavians to Copperfield; Austrians, Welsh, Cornish, and other Britons to Lark; and the British, French, Irish, and numerous others to Bingham. As a result the canyon was later dubbed by many to be a literal "League of Nations." Smaller camps with names like Frog Town, Freeman, Heaston Heights, Markham, Copper Heights, Dinkeyville, and Terrace Heights could also be found.

Bingham, due to its steep topography, had room for only one main street that snaked its way through nearly seven miles of canyon. It was joked that, due to the narrowness of the canyon, dogs could only wag their tails up and down. These close confines added to the tragedies that resulted from the numerous fires, avalanches, and floods that continually plagued the residents of the town. These hazards and the canyon's limited space led to the construction of Copperton at the canyon's mouth in 1926. This town, designed as a model mining community, was originally built by the Utah Copper Company not for the average miner, but for the company's management. The homes, which made extensive use of copper in their construction, were rented to employees until 1956, at which time they were sold to the residents.

Page 4
Comments & Questions to

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |

Mark Robinson Realty Brokers