is three and one-half miles southwest of St.George.
In 1870 a small group of settlers led by William Carpenter and Harrison
Pearce separated from Price, an early settlement two miles south of
St.George. They moved one mile further south, near the Virgin River,
to establish their own community. Lars James Larsen built the first
house, which was made of rock, and for a period of time the community
was known as St. James in honor of Larsen. Shortly after, noticing and
appreciating the beautiful spring flowers appearing on the hillsides
two to three weeks earlier than elsewhere, the settlers named their
community Bloomington. A series of alternating flashfloods and drought
began in 1880 and people began moving to other areas. For all practical
purposes the community was abandoned by 1930. Today as people realize
the advantages and opportunities of Bloomington's milder climate it
has re-developed as a vital new residential area with a community center, golf course,
and beautiful homes.
John W. Van Cott