is on US-163 midway between Mexican Hat and Blanding. The town was established
on April 6, 1880, by the Hole-in-the-Rock expedition of the Mormon Church's San Juan
Mission. William Hutchings of Beaver originally
named the town Bluff City in reference to the prominent bluffs along
the San Juan River. The word "City" was dropped to avoid confusion with
Iowa's Council Bluffs, which was occasionally referred to as Bluff City.
Bluff City was the first Anglo-Saxon settlement in San
Juan County. Life was difficult during the early years, when it
was half-humorously suggested that the town itself was one big bluff.
W. Van Cott