The Brigham Young Academy building opened its doors in 1892. The architect was Don Carlos Young (son of Brigham Young) who based the plans on the designs made by Karl G. Maeser, the Principal of the Academy. One of the largest school buildings in the Rocky Mountain region at the time, the Academy could accommodate 1,000 students. The Brigham Young Academy later became Brigham Young University.
Located at the northern edge of the city, the large building was constructed of locally manufactured brick trimmed with sandstone and wood. The roof was composed of metal shingles. The large Room D, now known as the Ballroom, was a large room used as a study hall and library as well for assemblies and occasionally for dancing. A portion of room D housed the library until 1925 when the Heber J. Grant Library opened on the upper campus.