Commercial radio's feasibility was demonstrated by Utah's second wave of broadcast engineers, who began their work in the 1920s. Eugene Pack, Harold C. Mailander, Everett J. (Hap) Seeley, John Baldwin, and W. D'Orr Cozzens are perhaps best representative of this group. Mailander, Seeley, and Baldwin followed Ira Kaar at KDYL. Cozzens succeeded in the construction of KSUB in Cedar City and KALL in Salt Lake City, among other stations. Pack engineered KSL through several power increases, including its move to 50 kw in 1932, and Baldwin constructed Utah's first television station (KDYL, now KTVX, Channel 4) in 1948. With others, this collective of broadcast engineers led Utah broadcasting from its amateur beginnings into its commercial era.
The first two great Utah commercial broadcast entrepreneurs were Sidney S. Fox and Earl J. Glade. Fox was as rough and unpolished as Glade was smooth and sophisticated, but both understood the essentials of financial investment and exhibited a keen business sense. Fox, a truly flamboyant character, made his way to Salt Lake City from St. Louis via Denver, where he generated travel money by selling business cards to prostitutes in that city's red-light district. Fox took over KDYL in 1926, and later invested in the construction of KDYL-FM and KDYL-TV. He eventually sold all three stations in 1953 to Time-Life Corporation for $2.1 million. Glade joined KFPT (soon to be KSL) in November 1924, a few months after John N. Cope took over the station from the Deseret News Company and the LDS Church. During Glade's first year, control of KSL was taken by the Radio Service Corporation of Utah, another LDS Church-owned company. Glade guided KSL's operations for the next fourteen years, until Ivor Sharp arrived to manage the station in the late 1930s. Glade stepped aside as station manager but remained on the board of directors, and Sharp guided KSL through the next two decades.