History of Butlerville, Utah
Taken from the Utah Place Names. (Links Added)

BUTLERVILLE

Butlerville (Salt Lake) was located around Twenty-seventh East and Seventhieth South, southeast of Salt Lake City. It was settled in 1877 by the five Butler brothers and their families. In 1901, the town was named after Alva Butler. He was the first bishop of the new Butlerville Ward of the Mormon Church. The community grew up around a paper mill, built in 1861, which supplied paper for the Deseret News. The settlers also havested lumber from nearby Big Cottonwood Canyon. It was humorously suggested that with five Butlers and only four McGies as the first settlers, the voting favored the name Butlerville. Today the expanded area is called Cottonwood Heights.

John W. Van Cott

Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers