One of the earliest canning enterprises within the state was the Syracuse Canning Company, located in Syracuse in Davis County and organized in 1893 but operated on a local farm until permanent quarters were completed in 1898. In 1902 the company expanded its operation and increased the size of its factory. In 1918 the company was sold to the Kaysville Canning Company, and in 1945 the cannery was closed.
The second of the two canning factories located in Syracuse, best known as the Kaysville Canning Company, began as a cannery of the John R. Barnes Company. In 1912 this company became the Davis County Canning Company. Just two years later, in 1914, it was sold to the Kaysville Canning Company. The cannery itself closed in the late 1950s, but the warehouse remains in use today as a base for the shipping business, C.H. Dredge and Company, moving onions, potatoes, and other agricultural products in its trucks throughout the western United States.
The Smith Canning Company was started by Albert T. Smith in 1922 in Clearfield. After two moves, the first forced by a fire and the second by the construction of the Clearfield Naval Supply Depot during World War II, the Smith Canning Company saw the need to change with the times in the mid-1950s and moved into the frozen food business. The company was later sold to the Freeport Cold Storage Company, which remains in business today.