is on U-54* five miles south southeast of Tropic and one-half mile west
of Henrieville. It was established in 1874 by James L. Thompson and
others with their families. An early name was Clifton in recognition
of the surrounding cliffs and rugged terrain. The name was changed to
Cannonville for George Q. Cannon, a Mormon church official. It was humorously
called Gunshot because it was not large enough to be a cannon.
W. Van Cott