When Indian difficulties
threatened, the location of the fort was questioned as the nearby hill
gave the Indians a decided tactical advantage. Also, as more and more
iron workers arrived, the fort became too small. A new and larger site
was selected on the south bank of the stream adjoining the old site
to the southwest. This was partially occupied in the early months of
1853 by those who wanted to move and by new arrivals. With the outbreak
of hostilities with the Indians in July 1853 (the Walker Indian War),
a forced evacuation of the entire fort was made in two days to the new
part of the new area, which was a half-mile square, was enclosed within
a wall, leaving some of the lots on the west and south outside the wall.
It was completed in January 1854. Interstate Highway 15 now bisects
this old town site.
Two years later
(June 1855), another site, closer to the blast furnace and out of the
flood plain of Coal Creek, was surveyed and occupied at the suggestion
of Brigham Young. This is the present site of Cedar City.