and in use as a residence today is one of Centerville's oldest and most
historic buildings, originally a stage coach station built in 1866 by
William Reeves for the Wells Fargo Company. After the Utah Central Rail
Road was completed in 1870, Mr. Reeves converted the building into an
amusement hall where dances and local dramatic performances were given.
It was known as Elkhorn Hall. Religious meetings also were held there
during construction of the Centerville Ward chapel in 1879-80.
In 1894 the Bamberger
Rail Road line reached Centerville on its way from Salt Lake City to Ogden. This line served Davis County with passenger and freight transportation,
first by steam power, then by electric power, and finally by diesel.
It discontinued operation in 1952. The Utah Light and Traction Company
extended its trolley line to Centerville in 1913, with its terminus
at Chase Lane. The line was abandoned the line in 1926. Centerville
is now served by buses of the Utah Transit Authority.
active in scouting in 1912, two years after the Boy Scouts of America
(BSA) was founded. In the 1930s a sea scout troop was organized, and
two boats were obtained from the U.S. Navy. Now, each of the local LDS
wards has a Boy Scout troop, and many boys have achieved the rank of
Eagle, while other local citizens have been honored with the Silver