In 1915 a few
local men petitioned the county to incorporate the settlement into a
town in order that a culinary water system could be developed. This
first system was constructed of wire-wrapped, wood-stave pipes. It was
replaced by one of metal pipes in 1936.
The streets of
Centerville were dark at night until the very early 1920s when a few
enterprising citizens took matters into their own hands and installed
lights at two street corners. These were crude contraptions consisting
of a time-clock in a wooden box mounted on a pole, with a long string
attached to the alarm, and then running up the pole to a light switch.
The nearest homeowner had the assignment of winding the alarm clock
in order that the streetlight would be turned on at dusk each evening
and off again in the morning. From this first effort a modern street
lighting system has evolved.
part of the South Davis Fire District, and has a modern fire station,
which stands on the same spot but is a far cry from the old hand-pulled,
two-wheel hose cart housed at the old Art Pettit garage with a fire
bell mounted on the roof. The new station was built in 1988.