was settled in the fall of 1864. Among the first settlers were Israel
J. Clark, James Myler, William Ricks, Michael Poulsen, Johannis Dahle,
Gideon Harmison, David Cook, John Griffiths, John Griffin, John Godfrey,
Samuel Whitney, Ole S. Jensen and their families; also the Thompson
and Hansen families, A. W. Heggie, a Mr. Parker, Paul Paulson, Andrew
McCombs, Simon Smith, Isaac Cook, A. H. Atkinson and others.
settlers first began to build on what is known as the flat, just east
of where Clarkston is now situated. But since the water was not very
good here, and there had been considerable sickness among the settlers, Brigham Young advised them to move
to higher ground nearer the head of City Creek and other springs.
J. Clark built the first log house two blocks east of the present school
building (City offices, 1995). The first school was held in this house,
with Mr. Clark's wife, Betsy Clark, as teacher.