On the southwestern
side of Clearfield, the U.S. Navy installed the Clearfield Naval Supply
Depot. Residents of the area at first were very much opposed to the
Navy's intentions. However, the Ogden Chamber of Commerce supported
the idea, stressing both patriotic and economic advantages. In May 1942
the Navy received authorization to buy the land, and it paid local farmers
the fair market value for their crops which could not be harvested.
Construction began in June 1942 and was finished in April 1943.
considered a prime location for the depot because of its relative security
from enemy attack, nearby air transportation at Hill Air Force Base,
and the proximity of railroads and highways. The dry climate was ideal
for storage, and there was a good supply of manpower. The depot was
an important naval installation for the warehousing and distribution
of supplies to West Coast supply points. During World War II years,
it was difficulty to fill employment vacancies, and the supply depot
hired almost anyone willing to work. In April 1945, 500 German prisoners
of war were assigned to the depot as work crews. After World War II,
the depot handled surplus property. During the Korean War, the distribution
workload increased again. After that conflict, the depot began to phase
out. Many civilian workers left to take employment at Hill Air Force
Base or at other government agencies and private industries. The depot
was phased out by 1962.