History of Coal City, Utah
Taken from the Utah Place Names. (Links Added)

COAL CITY

Coal City (Carbon) was up Consumers Wash, nine miles west of Spring Glen and eight miles north of the coal-mining town of Wattis. The area was grazing land until 1885 when the town was laid out and settled by George Storrs. Oak Springs Bench was the first town name; the name was later changed to Cedar Mesa Ranch. In 1921 it was called Great Western after the mining company operating in the vicinity, then the name was changed to Coal City. The town began to slow down in 1935 and was completely abandoned by 1940. At one time, the famous boxer Jack Dempsey lived and trained in Coal City and the town temporarily adopted the name Dempseyville. It was hoped that Dempsey would invest in local coal properties and consideration was given to permanently changing the town name to Dempsey City. Dempsey decided not to invest , however, and the name Coal City was retained.

John W. Van Cott

Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers