In 1942, the War Department acquired 25,000 uninhabited acres west of the Oquirrh Mountains. Soon thereafter, the Tooele Ordnance Depot (TOD) commenced storing high explosives, vehicles, small arms, and munitions. After World War II, TOD function as a storehouse and surplus disposal center. During the Korean War, TOD's mission changed from primarily a storage depot to a manufacturing enterprise devoted to producing, rebuilding, and repairing war materiel. Since the Korean War, TOD has become the major ammunition equipment design center for the nation's Orsdnance Corps. In 1962, TOD'S name was changed to Tooele Army Depot (TAD).
Also in 1942, the Chemical Warfare Service created Dugway Proving Ground for large-scale testing of chemical munitions. Following the creation of Dugway, another depot was initiated in Rush Valley called Deseret Chemical Depot (DCD). DCD was designed for the storage and shipment of all types of chemical warfare material. Eventually, the Army placed the Depot under the jurisdiction of the Tooele Army Depot. Since the nuclear age and the use of radio-active materials in warfare, Dugway has expanded its facilities for the handling, storage, and utilization of such materials. Dugway Proving Grounds has also been extremely controversial because of the highly toxic agents stored and tested there which have apparently caused some sheep deaths and may pose a danger to people in surrounding areas.