History of Delta, Utah
Taken from the Utah History Encyclopedia (Links Added)

The town's name was changed to Delta at the behest of the new company in 1911, and the extended land sales boom directly stimulated its growth as well. By 1912 boxcars loaded with farm equipment, furniture, and sometimes even livestock were unloading in great numbers. While most intended to locate on their new farms, the local newspaper noted that the area around the depot looked like a camping ground because of the large number of settlers' tents. Before the boom ended there were seven hotels along with several restaurants and livery stable operations established mainly to serve the potential land buyers who continued to flock to the area throughout the decade.

Delta area soils were of the proper composition for good sugar beet production. After several years of experimentation, area farmers agreed to plan sufficient beet acreage to induce the southern Utah Sugar Company to construct a large sugar factory at Delta. It went into operation in 1917 and enjoyed good output for several years. But partly because of drought, waterlogging of frequently irrigated land, and the decline of beet prices, and particularly the fantastic profits being earned from alfalfa seed crops at the time, the plant closed and was eventually dismantled and moved away.

Page 5
Comments & Questions to

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |