History of Dover, Utah
Taken from the Utah Place Names. (Links Added)

DOVER

Dover (Sanpete) was on the west side of the Sevier River opposite Fayette. The town was named after Dover, England, the hometown of several of Dover's settlers. The area was originally settled by John E. Fosgren, who made a few improvements then moved on. In 1877 William Robinson and others established homesteads in the area. By the 1890s the land became alkaline as a result of improper irrigation methods, so the village declined. During the 1930s a drought struck simultaneously with the developement of an epidemic. This forced the abandonment of Dover, which then became a ghost town.

John W. Van Cott

Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers