History of Elgin, Utah
Taken from the Utah Place Names. (Links Added)

ELGIN

Elgin (Grand) is on the east side of the Green River across from Green River. In 1905, Elgin was established as a siding on the Denver Rio Grande Western Railroad, and a post office was granted on March 5, 1898. The town quickly became a fruit-growing center, but over the years unexpected freezing periods and the cost of pumping water from the river caused the community to decline. Today the town has been revitalized by the addition of motels and tourist activities. Elgin has now been absorbed into Green River.

John W. Van Cott

Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers