bishops managed most community affairs during the community's first
forty years, including recreation, irrigation systems, roads and bridges,
silk production, and cooperative herds, stores, and tanneries. A rock
meetinghouse built in 1862-64 is one of Utah's oldest still in use.
In that building in 1878 Aurelia Spencer Rogers organized the first
Primary organization for children of the LDS Church.Transportation
routes influenced Farmington at several times in its history. In territorial
days, several inns became favorite stopping places for local and long-distance
travelers. In 1870 the Utah Central Railroad came through Farmington;
a century later Interstate 15 closely paralleled the railroad's route.
Even more influential was the Bamberger interurban; shoppers rode the
Bamberger south to Salt Lake and students rode it north to Davis High
School in Kaysville. When Simon Bamberger developed Lagoon resort at
Farmington in 1896, he created what expanded to become Utah's largest
amusement park and the city's largest source of tax revenue. The private Oakridge Golf Course brought another recreational facility to the community
in the late 1950s.