growth of services in the community has significantly affected life
in Farr West. In 1900 the first post office was established in Farr
West. Rural free mail delivery began in 1905. Also in 1905, phone service
was brought into the community. Electricity was made available on 29
May 1916. The Farr West Sewer Improvement District was established on
4 January 1968. Natural gas was brought into the community in August
1958. Bona Vista Water Improvement District provided culinary water
in 1958; Pine View Water Systems brought a secondary water system to
the area in 1982.
The earliest business in Farr West was built in 1862. It was called
the Prairie House, and was a tavern that primarily served travelers
who were on their way to the gold mines in Montana. In 1869 the Union
Pacific Railroad laid a line through the eastern part of Farr West,
a line later called the Ogden Shoreline. In 1874 William Rawson opened
the first general merchandise store in the town. For many years, new
businesses remained in operation only a relatively short time. Only
in recent years have more permanent business activities become established.
At the end of 1992 the city had issued licenses to sixty-one business,
which range in size from the large Smith and Edwards variety story to
small businesses operating from home sites.
improvements have had a significant impact on community development.
The earliest unimproved roads were dusty in dry weather and filled with
ruts and difficult to traverse in bad weather. Applying gravel to the
roads improved their condition markedly, but asphalt and concrete were
not used in local roads until around 1930 (the year West Harrisville Road was paved).