Fayette (Sanpete) is on U-28 five miles northwest of Gunnison near the southern tip of Yuba Reservoir. It was settled in 1861 by five families from Springville. Three families soon left hoever, the families of Joseph Bartholomew and his wife Polly Benson and James Mellor and his wife Mary Ann Payne remained. The area was soon abandoned, then re-established in 1866. The original name was Warm Creek for the name of the creek upon which the people settled. Fayette was the name chosen by LDS Apostle Orson Hyde because the Mormon Church was first organized in Fayette, Seneca County, New York.
G. William Wiersdorf
W. Van Cott, Utah Place Names 1997; Sanpete.com; Personal information from Fae Lewis 1010, descendant of both couples.