Anson Call and
thirty families began the settlement of Fillmore City. By February 1852,
about thirty houses and a log schoolhouse were completed in the form
of a fort. In 1852 a post office was established, and by 1853 the population
of Fillmore was listed as 304. Farming and stock raising quickly became
its principal industries. Because of Indian
problems, a fort was constructed in 1853-54 of stone and adobe, and
all local people were located within its walls for safety. On 26 October
1853 a team of U.S. Army topographical engineers headed by Lieutenant John W. Gunnison was massacred by Pahvant Utes not far from Fillmore.
Seven were killed.