Fort Cameron (Beaver) was established as a military tent camp under the Grant presidency in May 1873. It was built two miles east of Beaver on the north side of the Beaver River where units of the Eighth U.S. Infantry were assigned. On July 1, 1874, it was named to honor Colonel James L.Cameron, who was kiled during the Civil War in the battle of Bull Run. An earlier name was Post of Beaver. The camp was disbanded in April 1883.
John W. Van Cott