(Wayne) is ca. 5 miles north of Loa on US-72. It is in the Rabbit Valley on the upper Fremont River after which it is named. Mill Meadow Reservoir is ca. five miles northeast of Fremont. Six miles to the south on US-24 is the town of Lyman.
In the spring of 1876 William Wilson Morrell and his family arrived to become the first permanent settlers. It was Morrell who, in the following year, brought the first water-powered sawmill to the Valley. The mill eventually burned down. A turbin from the mill was salvaged and is on display in the park.
Some well preserved pioneer style buildings remain, among them the old Rock Church House on Main Street, dedicated in 1907. It served the community for church meetings, social events such as plays, dances and weddings as well as funerals. Elections and other civic gatherings were also held in the building. It is now the property of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers. Another building of interest, also located on Main Street, is the Worthen's Store constructed completely from rocks native to the area.
G. William Wiersdorf
See: Utah Place Names 1997, John W. Van Cott; Also from historic plaques and monuments throughout the town.