Fruitland (Duchesne) is a small agricultural and livestock community on US-40, twenty-four miles west of Duchesne and three and one-half miles east of Currant Creek. It was originally known as Rabbit Gulch for the numerous jackrabbits in the area. Then in 1907, the town developers decided to change the name to Fruitland in an effort to lure land buyers, even though conditions were unsuitable for fruit growing. Today it has developed as an oil- and gas-producing and agricultural region.
John W. Van Cott