History of Georgetown, Utah
-

GEORGETOWN

Georgetown was a small village of about 100 people on Yellow Creek, a tributary of the Paria River, ca. three miles south of Cannonville. Both Georgetown and Cannonville were named for a locally prominent LDS official, George Q. Cannon. In the spring of 1886 Seth Johnson and two sons, Joseph and Eleazer, built homes. Georgetown had a store, school, and a post office. As was the case in other areas of Southern Utah, water was unreliable and it became a ghost town in the late 1940s. There is small cabin and a cemetery nearby with headstones.

G.William Wiersdorf

See: Ghosttowns.com, Georgetown, Kurt Wenner; Utah Place Names 1997, John W. Van Cott.

Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers