is on us 89 in Long Valley along the upper Virgin River. Four miles
south is Orderville. After being settled
in 1862 by a party of settlers led by John and William Berry from Kanarraville,
Glendale was named Berryville as the first settlement in the valley.
At that time, Long Valley was called Berry Valley. Of those First settlers, Robert
Berry and his wife Isabella were murdered by the Indians, and in
1866 Berryville was abandoned. In 1871, members of the Muddy Mission
in Nevada resettled Long Valley. Led by James Leithead, the group settled
on the old Berryville townsite and renamed it Glendale because of the
beautiful surroundings. Another version of the naming of Glendale states
that the name came from their leader and first bishop, who was reminded
of his home in Scotland. Today it is a beautiful and stable community
known for its scenic surroundings.
W. Van Cott