several weeks Promontory continued to be a town of tents and crude shacks.
The land speculators, petty merchants, saloon keepers, gamblers, and
prostitutes who had followed these tent cities stayed only as long as
there were workers to entice. But, unlike many of these "hell on wheels"
camps, Promontory never became the site of a permanent city.
1901 the Central Pacific steam engine "Jupiter" was scrapped for iron.
The Union Pacific's No. 119 was scrapped two years later. The 1903-04
construction of the Lucin Cutoff siphoned most of the traffic from Promontory's
"Old Line." The last tie of laurel was destroyed in the 1906 San Francisco
earthquake. One of the supporting ties had been used as a roof beam
in a barn that Edgar Stone, the fireman on the Jupiter, had built in
North Ogden. Only the "Last Spike" remained--ensconced at Stanford University.