History of Grantsville, Utah
Taken from the Utah History Encyclopedia (Links Added)

When the desert section of the Lincoln Highway was planned for construction from Granite Mountain west to Ibapah, Utah, and then to Ely, Nevada, but was then abandoned for a northern crossing (Salt Lake City to Wendover), Grantsville officially became part of that Lincoln Highway section. The road was open for travel in 1925. Grantsville's business district along that highway (U-138) recently consisted of a drugstore, a bank, a dental and medical clinic, a credit union, a hardware and grocery store, and five gas stations. Two parks are located in the town and a memorial museum contains artifacts from the Donner Party. Stock showgrounds are owned by the county, and campgrounds are found in nearby South Willow Canyon. A senior citizens' center was completed in 1984. An earlier venture by Grantsville businessmen was the investment in 1869 in a woolen mill ten miles east of the city, near present-day Stansbury Park.

The construction of the Tooele Ordnance Depot in 1943 brought employment to the area and also a population increase; consequently, a new high school was built, which became a focal point for school and public events. The school was burned, but was rebuilt in 1984; a middle school was built in 1982.

Page 3
Comments & Questions to

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |