Grass Creek (Summit) is eight and one-half miles northeast of Coalville. Coal was discovered in Grass Valley Canyon in 1860. The coal was mined, the freighted out, up, and over Parley's Summit to Salt Lake City. The miners lived nearby with their families, calling their settlement Grass Creek. After the Grass Creek Fuel Company developed, the town began to grow. Soon afterward, the railroad line was brought into the area. Conditions then began to change and the town started to dwindle. Today Grass Creek is a ghost town site located on private property.
John W. Van Cott