History of Hailstone, Utah
Taken from the Utah Place Names. (Links Added)


Hailstone (Wasatch) is the junction of US-40 and US-189, seven miles north of Heber City. The junction's earliest name was Elkhorn. The area was homesteaded in 1864 by William Paret Hailstone, Ann Davis Hailstone, and others. Mining, ranching, and lumbering were early incentives in settling in the area. It was changed to Hailstone. In 1929 conditions changed when lumbering moved elsewhere. As this book goes to press, the nearby Jordanelle Dam construction is underway on the Provo River. The subsequent reservoir will cover the Hailstone site.

John W. Van Cott

Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |

Mark Robinson Realty Brokers