History of Hamblin, Utah
Taken from the Utah Place Names. (Links Added)

HAMBLIN

Hamblin (Washington) was originally a fort built in 1856 by Jacob Hamblin at the north end of Mountain Meadows. As other settlers moved in, the name was reduced from Fort Hamblin to Hamblin. The residents made a linving selling butter and cheese to the emigrant trains passing through. Overgrazing and floods eventually caused the people to relocate and the site became a ghost town by 1890. The seventeen children who survived the Mountain Meadow Massacre in 1858 were brought here before they were eventually returned to their relatives in Arkansas. Today a small cemetery is all that is left of Hamblin.

John W. Van Cott

Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers