Shurtliff built an adobe house. Later Luman's son, Noah L. Shurtliff,
made red brick by hand. A brickyard was later established, and there
has been a brickyard in Harrisville ever since; local brick making has
turned into a major business.
1858, the town was briefly abandoned in the face of Johnston's Army,
but the settlers returned to their homes that fall when the trouble
was resolved peacefully.
Harris at first taught school in his home, but as more people moved
in, it was necessary to organize a school district and build a schoolhouse.
Logs were brought from North Ogden Canyon and from Garner's Canyon and
the 16-foot by 18-foot schoolhouse was finished in 1863; it had a dirt
floor and a dirt roof. In 1867 a new two-room adobe schoolhouse was
built which served for school, civic, and religious affairs. Many children
had to come a great distance to go to school, so eventually area residents
decided to build a schoolhouse in the west end (which later became Farr
West). In 1892 the adobe school on the east end burned down. A new two-room
schoolhouse was erected that same year. In 1913, a two-story, four-room,
yellow brick schoolhouse was built. This served very well until the
1940s when it was abandoned and students were bused to schools outside