not only manufactured bricks but also washboards, cheese, and brooms,
and even briefly made some silk cloth. Early pioneer families often
carded their own wool to spin and then knit into basic clothing. In
1871 a small post office was built. In 1875 there was a sawmill and
a molasses mill on the banks of Four Mile Creek. They used the water
to turn the wheels to run the mills. Local farmers raised sugar cane
to make the molasses. In 1900 Parley Taylor had a good cheese factory.
By 1909 there was a harness shop, a shoemaker's shop, and a slaughterhouse.
3:27 P.M., 9 April 1962, Harrisville became an incorporated township.
The first mayor was Leland Saunders who, along with several other dedicated
men and women, was appointed by Weber county commissioners to direct
the new town. After permission was granted for a special census count,
Harrisville was made a third-class city 30 January 1964. The population
of the new city was 867.
acres of land were purchased on the east side of Highway 91. A portion
of this property became the site of the first small city hall. This
first city hall building was actually a home from Verdland Park (World
War II housing), moved onto a foundation and rejuvenated. City council
members and citizens donated the labor and Mayor Saunders donated the
needed equipment. The city hall came into use April 1965. Later a maintenance
shop was completed which housed the city police. These buildings were
used as such until January 1989, at which time a new city office building