History of Hebron, Utah (*)
Taken from Utah Place Names (Links added)

HEBRON

Today Hebron a ghost town site at the junction of the west and south forks of Shoal Creek, up-creek from Enterprise. Hebron's first settlers were the Pulsipher brothers, John and Charles, who named the settlernent Shoal Creek. In 1866 a fort was built and in 1868 the townsite was surveyed and the name was changed to Hebron after ancient Hebron in Palestine. John Pulsipher was thinking of Abraham of old who took families, cattle, and horses, and traveled until he found a suitable place to settle-then called it Hebron. The community grew because of Mining enterprises at nearby Silver Reef and Pioche in Nevada. After the 1902 earthquake, which extensively damaged the town, most of the residents moved down-canyon seven miles to Enterprise. 1906 San Francisco earthquake demolished what remained of Hebron. people who had remained were already suffering from restricted land and water problems such as a large gully washing down what was once Main Street. Finally, the rest of the people moved down-canyon to Enterprise because it remained undamaged after the San Francisco disaster.

John W. Van Cott

Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers