OnlineUtah.com Banner
History of Herriman, Utah
-

Herriman is in the southwest sector of the Salt lake Valley 8.7 miles east of the Bingham Copper Mine. Twenty-two miles northeast is Salt Lake City. The town was first called Butterfield for Thomas Butterfield, who settled there in 1849. Shortly after 1858 Butterfield was renamed Herriman for Henry Harriman, a prominent resident. Note the spelling change from Harriman to the town name today.

In 1854 the following individuals, Thomas Butterfield, Henry Harriman, Samuel Egbert, Robert Petty, John Stocking, Charles Crump and others, in order to protect against Indian hostilities build Fort Harriman. By 1858 as Johnston's Army arrived and conflicts with the Indians decreased, Brigham Young ordered the fort abandoned.

The city was incorporated in 1999.

G. William Wiersdorf

See: Utah Place Names 1997, John W. Van Cott; Wikipedia, Summer of Monuments.


Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers