OnlineUtah.com Banner

History of Hildale, Utah

Taken from the Utah History Encyclopedia (Links Added)
-
HILDALE
Hildale (Washington), Utah is the twin city with Colorado City, Arizona. The area was first known as Short Creek, founded in 1913. The two towns strattle the Utah/Arizona border of Washington County, Ut and Mohave County, Az.

Hildale is located halfway, 40 miles (64.37km), between St. George and Kanab, Utah. State roads 59 in Utah and road 389 in Arizona traverse the towns. Apple Valley, Ut is just 9.8 miles west/northwest.

The town is headquarters to the Fundamentalist LDS Church (FLDS). The majority practiced plural marriage, an activity against state and federal Law. This has caused numerous conflicts over the years with law enforcement attempts on the community from time to time. A 1953 raid turned out to be not only an embarrassment but also an expensive undertaking for the state. Although the community has struggled internally over the United Effort Plan trust (UEP) and recent arrests of their leaders, it continues to grow both in population and economy.

G. William Wiersdorf



Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers