is now under the waters of Lake Powell.
It was located near the mouth of the Dirty
Devil River across from the mouth of White
Canyon. Hite was an early Colorado River outpost anciently used
by the Indians as a Colorado River crossing.
In the early 1870s, Cass Hite arrived in the area. He was a prospector,
a former member of Quantrill's Civil War guerrillas, and was considered
an outlaw. He settled at the site and became friendly with the Indians.
The early whites called this Colorado River crossing the Dandy
Crossing because it was relatively easy to get across. In 1881-83
a small settlement was established, centering around the ferry, and
Hite's name became attached to it. The ferry was discontinued when the Glen
Canyon Dam was built. Hite's name was transferred to a newly established marina,
since the original Hite community is now under water.
W. Van Cott