During the summer,
many new settlers moved into the valley. The land was surveyed and a
new town, called "Huntsville," was located on the bench. It was laid
out in nine blocks, six acres to a block, each block divided into eight
lots. An irrigation company was organized and tapped the South Fork
River, bringing water to the bench land. Soren L. Peterson and Peter
C. Geertsen, immigrants from Denmark in 1864, also served as missionaries
there and encouraged many Danish converts to settle in Huntsville.
incorporated in 1903. The first mayor was L.M. Nelson. A city hall was
built, as was an electric lighting system, extending from the dam in
Ogden Canyon to the city. Nelson's home is still standing and is on
the Utah Historical Register. (At one time it was a restaurant known
as the "Valley House.") Some six years later, however, on 18 December
1909, the city was disincorporated.
In 1923 Huntsville
presented a petition to the county commissioners requesting the privilege
of again incorporating, and it was granted on 10 March 1924. The main
purpose in again incorporating was to secure an up-to-date water system
through a bond issue. On 3 December 1924 the water system was officially
completed with a celebration in honor of the event. Huntsville was the
second community in Weber County to incorporate, Ogden being the first.