Mr. and Mrs.
Thomas M. Hinton became the first residents of Hurricane when they occupied
the bench in 1906. Other stockholders farmed their lands by camping
during the week and going home to Virgin and Toquerville over the weekend.
Hurricane gradually evolved into a town of fine orchards, vineyards,
alfalfa, grain, and sugar beet fields and as a center for the southern
Utah sheep industry. The original eleven families of 1906 had by 1917
increased to more than one hundred families with a population of 800.
During these eleven years their homes had been lighted by kerosene lamps
and their culinary water dipped from ditches into barrels. In February
1917 a fifty-year franchise was granted to the Southern Utah Power Company,
and by September most of the homes were wired and ready for the power
which was turned on that same month. Also, the town voted a bond, and
bought two-thirds of a second-foot of water from Toquerville and began
installing a piped system.
When water from
the Virgin River was allocated, the St. George and Washington Canal Company received thirty second-feet, La Verkin Canal Company six, and Hurricane Canal Company nine and three-fourths
second-feet of primary water right. Additional water in dry seasons
was assured when the Hurricane Canal Company built a storage reservoir
on the Kolob Terrace.
With the establishment
of the Washington County Water
Conservancy District, the bulk of the Virgin River irrigation canal
has been abandoned. The district supplies irrigation water in a pipeline
from the diversion dam and in return uses the surplus water to fill Quail
Lake reservoir. When the water reaches town it is distributed in
a closed-pipe system.