History of Iosepa (Yo-see-pa),Utah (Ghost Town)
Taken from the Utah Place Names (Links Added)

IOSEPA

Iosepa was twenty miles south of the Great Salt Lake in the center of Skull Valley. In 1889, with the encouragement of the Mormon Church, a group of converts from Hawaii attempted to establish a colony at this location. At one time over 225 Mormon church members lived in the colony. Hansens disease (leprosy) struck the settlement in 1893. When the church built a temple in Hawaii in 1916, many of the Hawaiians returned to their homeland. By 1917 Iosepa was a ghost town centered around a cemetery. The property was later sold to the Deseret livestock Company. "Iosepa" is Hawaian for "Joseph."

John W. Van Cott

The following from Richard J. Waddoups
LDS Church Missionary William Mark Waddoups, was sent to Iosepa to use his Hawaiian language skills.
His schooling in agriculture was an asset also. He returned to Hawaii with a group of the Hawaiian Saints
who were homesick. There they worked on the Hawaii Temple. He later became the first President.
Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers