Irontown (Iron), also known as Iron City, is located fifteen miles west of Cedar City on U-56. Discovered by Peter Shirts early in 1868, the area known as Iron City was developed by Ebenezer Hanks and others who in June of 1868 established the Union Iron Company, later known as the Great Western Iron Company. The 1870 census listed the population at 97. By 1871 there was a post office, boarding house, a school, butcher shop and general store. Originally the iron works included two charcoal kilns, a 2,500-pound capacity furnace, a patern shop, and an erastra (a grinding device). A pond is still found nearby.
The Great Western Iron Company went bellly-up because the venture proved impractical and too costly. The Iron Works closed down in 1876 and became Utah's first ghost town.
G. William Wiersdorf
See: John W. Van Cott, Utah Place Names; Plaques placed by Iron Mission State Park.